cv – Heather Jack
Heather Jack is Managing Director and sole employee of HJBS Ltd, an information management consultancy company dedicated to helping organisations manage their information as an asset to maximise value, minimise risk and do what they do better. She works both directly with clients and as an associate with other consultancy companies.
With a Masters in Librarianship and Information Management from Sheffield University, Heather has worked in the information arena for over 30 years in both public and private sector organizations. She set up her consultancy in 2003 firmly believing that too often technology rather than organisational need was driving information management in the increasingly digital world.
She helps her clients to improve strategy, systems and working practice in all aspects of information and records management. Key to this is ensuring that any improvement initiative supports the organisation’s statutory obligations and strategic goals, follows best practice and is realistic to achieve.
Her independent status means that her clients can trust that her advice is based entirely on finding the best solution and approach to meet their’ requirements. Effective communication, inclusion and support are fundamental strands to her service delivery.
“Heather is remarkable; hugely experienced in records management and with a deep understanding of what makes information valuable, Heather also has a wit and energy which makes learning from her a joy, and listening to her make me enthusiastic to do better. If you need to learn about information asset management or be schooled in the legislation which underpins records management Heather is your woman.” Ben MacCorquodale, Business Information Manager at Zero Waste Scotland, February 19, 2016
- Currently undertaking Post Graduate Certificate in Data Protection Law and Information Governance at Northumbria University – completion date 07/2020
- Certificate in Managing Data Protection Compliance with distinction, 2018
- Post Grad MA in Library and Information Management, University of Sheffield, 1986
- MA Hons (2/1) in History, University of Glasgow, 1984.
Business case development & options appraisals
- Strategy, policy and procedural development
- Information and process review, audit & improvement
- Information architecture & information/records life-cycle management
- E-discovery and knowledge management
- Electronic Document and Records Management System (EDRMS) implementation
- Training, culture and change management
- Information assurance & compliance
- Information legislation including FOISA RM Code of Practice, Data Protection, Public Records (Scotland) Act 2011
- information governance & documentary evidence requirements to support compliance with industry standards, regulation & legislation, commercial contracts and internal policy
- Economic development
- Health & social care
- Higher & further education
- Local government
- National regulatory & advisory bodies
- Oil, gas & renewable energy
- Social housing
- Voluntary sector
2003 to date Managing Director, HJBS Ltd
2019 to date Member of “For Your Information” business venture
2017 to date External Information Governance trainer, SHARE
2005-2015 Associate Consultant, In-Form Consult; (IFC)
1991-2003 Information and Knowledge Manager, DataCAD/ISI Group Plc (Computer Aided Design and Document Management Systems and Services company);
1986-1991 Trainee and Assistant Librarian, Renfrew District Libraries
2019-Current Glasgow Centre for Inclusive Living
Data protection current state assessment and delivery of DP policy framework
2019-Current Advocating Together
Data protection and information management current state assessment and delivery of information governance policy framework
2018-Current TKM Consulting. Second marker and delivery of information governance section on Managing Data Protection Compliance course
2017-Current Tayside Contracts. Development and implementation of Information Governance Strategy and Framework including move to use M365 as core platform for integrated information governance, life cycle management and exploitation.
2016-2018 Care Inspectorate. Information Governance review and improvement programme support including preparing for GDPR and recruitment support for Information Governance manager. Included period of temporary part-time employment (Feb to July 2018)
2016-Current SHARE. Delivery of in-house and public training courses on Information Governance, Data Protection and Freedom of Information to Scottish Registered Social Landlords
2014-Current Blue Triangle Housing Ltd.
Information Governance support for Digital Transformation programme, including move to use M365 as core platform for integrated information governance, life cycle management and exploitation.
Information and records management current state assessment, policy, procedure and retention schedule development & implementation to support digital transformation programme, appraisal of off-site archived hard copy business records and transfer to new offsite storage provider
2015-2018 Historic Environment Scotland. “critical friend” support for electronic document and records management solution project, Business classification scheme, file plan and retention schedule development and Information Asset Register mapping
Data protection training for 150 staff;
Data Protection policy and procedure development and pilot compliance checks to support merger transition programme.
Records management team strategic review. (2015 for Historic Scotland)
2016-2017 National Archives Ireland. Development and pilot testing of digital records survey and risk assessment, risk management framework and recommendations report. (delivered jointly with CJ-IMC)
2015-2019 Coalition of Care Providers, Scotland Data protection and privacy assessment of multi-agency web-based outcomes monitoring tool and associated protocols, procedures and guidance. Identified areas of good practice and areas for improvement. Recommendations took account of potential impact and implications of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (EU GDPR) to ensure that any improvement action is future-proofed to meet these. Reviewed data processor policy and procedures (developed as a result of initial system review). Delivery of GDPR session to system users forum
- Accredited member and Fellow of the Information and Record Management Society (IRMS)
- Current Groups and Volunteers Officer
- IRMS UK Conference 2015 Keynote Speaker – “IG: 1984 or Nirvana”
- Records Management Society* (RMS) UK Records Manager of the Year 2008
- Inaugural Chair, RMS Scotland Group building membership to over 100 and organizing 3 events a year as well as an online resources during her 2 year period as Chair – and have continued to support as committee member and proactive group member
- RMS UK Conference Director, 2009
- IRMS Accreditation Assessor (current)
- Former Chair of IRMS Governance Sub Committee
- Co-presenter of the IRMS Podcast series (voted no. 1 IG Resources for Global InfoGov Award 2014)
- Trustee of Scottish Council on Archives & member of Advocacy Working Group (current)
- Member of BSI IDT/002/17 Archives/records management sub-committee (current)
- member of working group developing British Standards Records Management Code of Practice
- was member of review panel for the revision of ISO 15489 International Records Management Standard and owner of associated LinkedIn discussion group.
- Current member of AIIM and ARMA
- Mentor for students studying for Information Governance qualifications (current)
- PRSA (Public Records Scotland Act) Stakeholder Forum member and lead for workstream on third party compliance
- Helped the Office of the Scottish Information Commissioner to be compliant with their own S61 Records Management Code of Practice under the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act – they are the regulator.
- One of two consultants who developed the first version of SCARRS – Scottish Council on Archives generic retention schedules and associated guidance for all functions delivered by Scottish Local Authorities;
- Former facilitator of the Records and Information Management Scotland & ISO 15489 KnowledgeHubs
- Has written articles for a number of UK and European paper publications and online blogs
- Tweets as @akaIRMbigyin
- Regular speaker at conferences, sector physical events & webinars,