Introduction to Records Management
1 day face-to-face or 2 half days online
Online courses in 2022
- March 7 & 9
- June 22 & 23
- November 23 & 25
All sessions 0930-1300, delivered through Cisco Webex by Heather Jack
Cost - £375 + VAT per participant
Course fee includes printed course materials. Completion of the course is recognised by the FYI badges of achievement scheme.
Your organisation’s information has the potential to be a key business asset or a risk-laden liability – it’s all down to how it is managed. The introduction to records management course will be delivered over two half-days online and is for anyone who has operational responsibility for managing their organisation’s records at corporate, service or business unit level but may not be familiar with records management principles and good practice. It is applicable to roles operating at corporate, service or business unit level or supporting a records management improvement project, within any organisation regardless of size or business sector.
The purpose of the course is to introduce key principles, concepts and practicalities of effective management of records to help your organisation reduce risk, increase value and improve performance and compliance by improving how they manage their information and records.
Session 1: context, principles and concepts
- definitions and principles
- business drivers and benefits
- legislation and standards
- requirements, rules and tools: records life cycle; business classification schemes, file naming conventions, indexing and metadata; classification, security and vital records; retention schedules; information audits and asset registers
Session 2. practical implementation
- rules and tools in practice: from improvement initiatives to business as usual
- consistent application in varied environments: physical records, digitisation, shared drives, Microsoft 365 and SharePoint, business systems, email
- engagement, training and support
- risk, compliance and performance management